ITI Dublin

In college and thinking about your next steps? 

Here are a few reasons why it's an idea to sign up!

  • We will send you out our Daily Tax News which will keep you up-to-date on all topical and trending tax news stories - this is a great resource for any projects or essays you might be working on.
  • You'll receive content to assist you on your career in tax journey from competitions, to blogs and interview advice to help you with your interviews
  • It's a great to put on your CV - a super talking point if you are at an interview!

Now all the details...

In order to pursue a career in tax, you must undertake the Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) qualification once you graduate.

This is a professional qualification, so typically you will be working by day while doing this qualification part-time. If you're lucky, you will secure a tax trainee role, but there are lots of pathways to qualification.

Graduates from any discipline

Students from any discipline can chose a career in tax. There are no pre-requisites. Once you have an undergraduate degree at honours level (Level 8) or equivalent, you can enrol on the Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) programme.

You don’t have to have a business or legal degree – there are lots of students with degrees in Science, Engineering and Humanities who are really successful Chartered Tax Advisers (CTA).  In fact, employers really want students from these backgrounds – they bring a fresh and different way of thinking!

Start laying down the stepping stones to your success. Choosing the Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) qualification isn’t just an educational choice, it’s a life decision.

First and Second years

It's never too early to start thinking about your career prospects. Attend the college careers fair, speak to alumni and graduates from your college about their career choices.  Speak to potential employers about what they are looking for in future candidates, both in terms of grades and experience. 

If your course has a Co-Op or work placement year, think about choosing to work in a firm where you can get hands-on experience in tax.  It’s best to talk to your Co-Op placement officer in your college and see what opportunities are out there.

Third and Final years 

If you are in your penultimate year in college, think about applying for a summer internship with a firm with a tax department. Firms normally recruit in November - December, and if you are successful you will complete your 12 week paid internship over the summer months. 

Visit "The Definitive Guide to Tax Internships" for all you need to know!

Professional services firms recruit tax trainees each year on the Milk Round.  Applications open in September and close in mid-October. This is your opportunity to secure a job (commencing the September after you graduate), be sponsored to qualify as a Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) and start work in a very dynamic and exciting field. Take time and care with your application and tick the tax box!


Some of you may not really consider career options until you've completed your undergraduate degree. You can still apply for tax trainee roles but it's important to note that you don't require a training contract to commence your studies. You can demonstrate your commitment to a career in tax and enrol on the Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) qualification. It will really set you apart from other graduates when apply for tax roles.

Possible Exemptions 

If you have chosen a relevant degree (legal or business-related discipline), you may be entitled to exemptions from some modules of the Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) qualification.  Take look at pages 11 - 16 of our Student Handbook to check if your qualification is listed.

Finally, make sure to check out our blog for lots of news and and articles about a career in tax.

Want to hear more?